Main purpose of the job
To collaborate with MSF medical staff on the integration of psychiatric treatment with basic healthcare services in order to insure the treatment of patients suffering from severe and common psychiatric disorders.
Responsibilities and tasks
• Provide treatment for patients suffering from severe and common psychiatric disorders with specific attention to the cultural context.
• Provide training and supervision to national and international medical staff (doctors and nurses) on diagnosis and treatment of severe and common mental health disorders according to MSF guidelines
• Participate as a member of the mental health team when present and offer supervision and support to psychologists and counselors
• Ensure that guidelines and psychotropic medications from MSF standard drug list are available in the project
• Ensure that proper information on treatment and follow up are collected in order to monitor the provision of care.
• Evaluate in-country available psychiatric services including possibilities for psychiatric hospitalization and the quality of these services.
• Form a relationship with MoH and exploration of sustainability of psychiatric treatment.
• Establish collaboration/communication with medical specialties in the project in order to achieve a multi-disciplinary approach to patient care.
• Provide the patients with information about illness and explain the treatment plan
• Record any observation, request for further investigation, results of investigations or treatment given to patients in their medical files. Documentation in charts according to accepted standard practice.
• Provide technical support to medical doctors and follow up
• Manage acute psychiatric illnesses according to resource available and plan for further management when needed.
• Attend the regular STHC multidisciplinary team meetings-which include medical and mental health staff. Share with colleague(s) the relevant information from those meetings
• Liaise with community medical and mental health services outside of the STHC in collaboration with the referral nurse for referral cases, in respect to OP/IP referrals policy.
• Collaborate with Medical Referent in the preparation of the list of purchase of drugs
• Communicate with Medical Referent concerning every prescription of drugs outside MSF list
• Communicate with Medical referent concerning any IPD psychiatric referral
• Manage patients with Substance Use Disorders psychiatric commodities
• Manage psychiatric commodities typically found in patients with HCV and other infectious diseases.
• Manage the psychiatric care of children and adolescent, according to the resources available
Patients’ follow up
• Schedule the follow up appointments for psychiatric patients and record them in patients’ files.
• Follow up the patients under psychotropic medications
• Collect statistics according to identified indicators to monitor needs and performance of the activity
• Prepare a monthly Sitrep
Specific requirements for the role:
Education: MD degree, specialized training in psychiatry, Tehran Medical Certificate
Experience: Essential working experience as a psychiatrist, Experience in training and supervision Languages: English and Farsi essential
Knowledge: Computer literacy, Capacity to work in a multidisciplinary team, Strong communication and organizational skills
• Results and Quality Orientation
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Behavioral Flexibility
• Commitment to MSF Principles
• Stress Management
What we offer:
• Legal contract with Social Security coverage
• Pay in accordance with the MSF salary grid
• Health care coverage for the employee and his/her dependents
• The chance to gain professional development in an international organization and to develop (career path, training, etc.) within the organization
• The opportunity to contribute to our objective of saving lives, alleviating suffering and working with those most in need